Grüner LernraumCopyright: M. Gerhards
Schoolyards are important places for children and young people in their everyday environment. New things are directly experienced and understood here. On the other hand, the actual design of schoolyards is usually oriented towards constraints such as band protection and cost-effective maintenance. For planners, the schoolyard is therefore a field of conflict between experienced pedagogy (the space as mediator) and necessary pragmatism. For students, it is an "obvious" space whose functions, demands and deficits are familiar from their own experience.
Aim of the impromptu
Based on their own experience and explorations, concepts for the further development of the schoolyard of a grammar school in Aachen will be developed:
How can the current requirements of sustainable trade (climate adaptation, resource conservation, etc.) be transferred into a sustainable open space design?
A design that meets sustainability criteria, is functional, forms part of an educational concept and offers new spatial qualities.
Through a contact with the Berlin-based association Kilera e.V. (Education for Children in Cameroon, https://www.kilera.net/) there is also the possibility of involving a school in Akonolinga (Cameroon) in order to get to know the learning space of school from another perspective.
- Analysis of the open space situation, accessibility, use, user spectrum, green space situation, design deficiencies, M 1:500 and pictos on individual topics.
- Concept development for better use and design of space with self-selected (or specified) focal areas - M 1:500 and pictos
- Presentation of the main topic floor plan (max. M 1:250) with sections, sketches and 3D representations.
- 2 posters DIN A0 (in RWTH layout)
- Group work with 2 persons
- Fri. 30.04.2021 - Kick-off (introduction, input, organisational (zoom, 2 pm)
- Tue, 25.5.-Fri, 28.05.2021 - Compact week (site visit, exchange with the school/pupils, work on impromptu, queries/supervision)
- Fri. 28.05.2021 - Presentation of work (zoom, 10:30 am)
- Fri. 04.06.2021 - Submission of work (without presentation)
If possible, the work should be exhibited in the school afterwards!