On walk in the cityCopyright: Brian Merrill
This impromptu deals with the topic of pedestrian mobility in the city. Walking is the most natural form of transport and takes the second place in the overall volume of urban traffic. Nevertheless, pedestrians in the city have the lowest proportion of traffic space, are exposed to dangerous situations and to air pollution.
These situations supposed to be changed, street spaces revitalised and social interaction promoted. Improved pedestrian planning is an important contribution to developing our cities for the future in a more sustainable and climate-friendly way, as well as offering more space for healthier mobility and new qualities in street space.
It requires the development of excellent ideas for utilization and design to make open public spaces usable with new qualities. Finally, more space for residents, for greening and sustainable transport can mean an enormous increase in the quality of life and living: more local supply options, better neighbourhood, communication and interaction on the one hand and less noise, exhaust fumes and dangers on the other.
In this impromptu approach, your task is to show what new qualities can emerge in an urban quarter if car traffic is reduced and pedestrians are given more space and spatial quality.
Find a small inner-city street that is used a lot by pedestrians / cyclists and where mostly of the space is dominated by cars.
Create three DiN A1 posters for your street in working groups of 2 students
- Overview 1:1000 spatial situation
- 1 typical cross-section: 1:100
- Illustration of uses and qualities as well as strengths and weaknesses in text and with photos
• Observations of space: frequency and activities:
- of all participants and users
- moods and atmospheres
- the relationships between frequencies, uses and space offers
• New segmentation of the street space:
- according to the uses with cross section/profile
- sketches and illustrations
- conclusion on the changed space segmentation.
Uploading the products to moodle, image files in jpg format
First Meeting: Mon., 11.11.2019, 9.30 – 11.00 o'clock, Institute of Landscape Architecture, Seminar room
Consulting offer for first results: Mon., 09.12.2019, 9:30-11:00 o'clock